About your School Counselor
My name is Emily Rexrode and this is my 3rd year as the school counselor at Mary C. Greer Elementary. I am a graduate of Mary Baldwin College and Virginia Tech. My first job at Greer was teaching 5th grade. I loved teaching 5th grade but decided I really wanted to be a school counselor.
School Counseling Program Service Delivery Components
School Guidance Curriculum: School counselors provide collaborative lessons within the classroom that support a proactive, prevention-based model serving all students.
- Classroom Instruction
- Interdisciplinary Curriculum
- Group Activities
- Parent Workshops and Instruction
Individual Student Planning: School counselors coordinate activities that help all students plan, monitor and manage their own learning, as well as meet competencies in areas of academic, career, and personal/social development.
- Individual and/or Small Group Appraisal
- Individual and/or Small Group Advisement
Responsive Services: School counselors provide support to meet the immediate needs and concerns of individual students.
- Counseling - individual and/or small group (non-therapeutic)
- Crisis Counseling (prevention, intervention, follow-up)
- Peer Facilitations (peer counselors, peer mediators)
System Support: School counselors manage activities that establish, maintain and enhance the total school counseling program.
- Professional Development (In-service, training, professional organizations, post-graduate education)
- Consultation, collaboration and teaming-consultation, partnerships, advisory council, school division committees, community outreach.
- Program Management and Operation Management activities, data analysis, fair-share responsibilities.