High School Summer Program
The primary goal of the Summer High School Program is to offer Albemarle County Public Schools students the chance to retake a course where they would like to improve their knowledge, skills, and understandings that were not developed during the regular school year. Additionally, there is the opportunity to earn new credit through our Virtual Learning program in Health, PE, and Economics and Personal Finance.
NEW for 2016 students can earn High School credit by participating in the ACPS Internship program. Students who are interested should contact the Career Specialist at their school.
[AHS: Ms. Massey, MoHS: Ms. Eubanks, WAHS: Ms. Bertrand]
Registration Opens: Monday, May 2nd
Classroom Session: June 13 - July 29 (Summer Break: July 4-8 - No School) @ Albemarle High School
PE Session 1: June 13 - July 1 (8:00am - 1:30pm) @ Western Albemarle High School
PE Session 2: July 11 - July 29 (8:00am - 1:30pm) @ Burley Middle School - FULL - Due to space limitations the session at Burley Middle School is currently full. If you would like to be placed on a wait list, please mail or bring in your registration form. Payment will not be required until a spot is available.
Virtual Courses: June 13 - July 29
Virtual PE Mandatory Sessions:
Parent Info Session/Pre-testing: June 8th - 8AM / Noon / 6:30PM @ AHS
Post-testing: July 21 - 8AM / Noon / 6:30PM @ AHS
Sign-up for mandatory sessions will come from instructor prior to course start.
- Health or PE
- $230 per course (Health & PE together $460)
- Virtual Economics and Personal Finance
- Course Retake
- $230 per course
Registration Process (Begins May 1)
- Download and complete the registration form.
- Option 1: Bring registration form and payment between 8:30-4:00, M-F, to the Albemarle County Office Building - 3rd Floor
- Option 2: Mail in registration form and payment to address on registration form. We will confirm registration by phone/email once received.
- Students can retake one course at a time and up to two total during the Classroom Session time frame. The time it takes to retake one course can vary per individual student.
- Two SOL testing windows will be available - 6/29-7/1 & 7/27-7/29
- Classroom Driver Education is available through the ACPS Driver Education program. The combined classroom Health II w/Driver Education is only available during the school year.
- Final course offerings are determined by a minimum enrollment of 15 students.
- According to staffing and classroom space, classes may be limited to 25 students.
- It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian to provide a current copy of the child's IEP or 504 plan (if applicable) at the time of registration in order to ensure Special Education services as in the regular school year. It is imperative that the Accommodations sheet for SOL testing is attached to the registration form.
- Albemarle County Public Schools does not provide transportation for the High School Summer Program.
Students wishing to repeat a course they have previously taken or wish to prepare to retake an SOL test will sign up for the Classroom Session. Initial credit is only offered in our virtual courses (Healh, PE, Economics & Personal Finance). Instruction will be primarily delivered online with supplemental activities and additional instruction provided by a highly qualified instructor as needed. Students will retake the course at the same course level or lower than the original attempt at the course. For example, if a student is retaking Honor's Geometry - they would retake the course at either Honors or Advanced level.
Students are expected to attend the classroom session until they complete the course. In most cases this can be done in a 3-4 week time frame. Any extended absences must be approved ahead of time by the Summer School Administrator. All coursework must be completed by the final day of the Classroom Session.
The following courses are available to be retaken during the summer classroom session:
Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry
World Geography, World History I, World History II, US/VA History, US/VA Government
Due to the lab requirements in Science we are unable to offer any Science courses to retake during the summer session.
Health, PE, and Economics and Personal Finance are available as virtual courses through the Summer School Program.
- Virtual courses run on the dates posted above.
- Virtual Courses do not offer face-to-face instruction and must be completed remotely. The only exception is the mandatory meeting times for Virtual PE.
- Students must provide their own Internet Access and Device necessary to complete the course.
- We do not recommend that students who are traveling or have other time consuming obligations take a virtual course over the summer. All Virtual courses are available during the school year.
- Students will register using the information on the ACPS Summer School Program site.
Rules and Regulations
• Attendance is required for classroom sessions. When retaking a course, students are no longer required to attend when the course is complete. All courses must be complete by the last day of school. No refunds or extensions will be granted if coursework is not complete at that point.
• Students will be expected to display appropriate behavior. Failure to do so may result in suspension and/or removal from the summer program. Suspensions will be counted as absences.
The summer program will adhere to the Albemarle County Standards of Student Conduct. http://esb.k12albemarle.org/Reference_Library/ESB_Policies_and_Regulations/Policies//JFC_0209.pdf
o Students involved in confrontations involving weapons and/or physical contact will be removed from the summer program and will not receive a grade, credit, or a refund.
o A student who possesses, uses, or is under the influence of a drug, narcotic, tobacco product, or alcoholic beverage will be removed from the summer program and will neither receive a grade, credit, nor a refund.
o Smoking, chewing, or any other use of any tobacco products by students shall be prohibited on all school property.
o Student’s dress may not interfere with classroom activities nor contribute to the creation of a disturbance. Shirt and shoes must be worn at all times.
o Students will not be permitted to leave the school grounds during program hours without permission.
• The following grading system is used to award grades:
A = 90-100; B = 80-89; C = 70-79; D = 60-69; F = 0-59
• Students must provide their own transportation and abide by vehicle parking rules and regulations of Albemarle County.
• Students will be expected to leave the school grounds immediately at the conclusion of the school day.
• The signed registration form gives parental permission for a student's participation in local field trips. Parents will be informed of such field trips in advance. Fees may apply.
Carolyn Hergert, Summer School Registrar
401 McIntire Road, 3rd Floor
Charlottesville, VA 22902