CLASSROOM DRIVER EDUCATION is offered at all Albemarle County High Schools as part of Health II, which is taken in 10th grade. Students are encouraged to attend all sessions of the 36-hour driver's education instruction. Driver Education is administered by Karen Waters-Wicks, Community Education Coordinator. For more information, contact her office at 434-975-9450, or visit www.opendoors1.org and click on Driver Education.
PARENT SEMINARS are offered at Albemarle, Monticello, and Western Albemarle High School. Attendance of this 90-minute informational training session by a parent or guardian is required prior to enrollment in Behind the Wheel instruction. Topics covered include Virginia traffic law, licensing, coaching, and insuring teen drivers.
DRIVER EDUCATION BEHIND-THE-WHEEL will be offered in the morning from 7:30-8:30 am and in the afternoon from 4-6 pm or 4:15-6:15 pm weekdays throughout the school year. *During daylight savings classes will be held 1 hr. instead of 2 hrs. Please visit the link shown on the drop down menu at left to view schedules for each school. If school is cancelled or delayed due to inclement weather, Behind the Wheel instruction is delayed or cancelled as well.
To register for behind-the-wheel training, students must:
• Possess their learner's permit;
• Have completed or at least started the 36 hour classroom;
• Submit the certificate of attendance from a parent seminar;
• Pay the Range fee;
• Submit a completed registration form & parent permission form.
To be eligible for the permanent license students must:
• Be 16 years and 3 months of age, complete & hand in 45 hr. driving log,
• Have held learner's permit for nine months,
• Have completed the 36 period classroom,
• Passed the behind-the-wheel course.
Visit www.dmvnow.com for more details on licensing and practice tests