High School Summer Program
The primary goal of the Summer High School Program is to offer Albemarle County Public Schools students the chance to retake a course where they would like to improve their knowledge, skills, and understandings that were not developed during the regular school year. Additionally, there is the opportunity to earn new credit in Health, PE, and Economics and Personal Finance.
Virtual PE is FULL - We are taking wait list registrations in case of openings.
There are still openings in all classroom sessions of PE.
Registration Opens: May 1st
Classroom Session 1: June 15 - July 2 (8:00am - 1:30pm)
Classroom Session 2: July 7 - July 24 (8:00am - 1:30pm)
Virtual Health & PE: June 10 - July 24
Virtual PE Mandatory Sessions (held at AHS):
Parent Info Session / Pre-testing: June 10 - Pick One: 8:00 or 12:00 or 6:00 (90 Minutes)
Post-testing: July 17
Virtual Economics and Personal Finance: June 10 - August 7
Classroom Sessions: Albemarle High School
Session I: PE- Western Albemarle High School
Session II: PE- Two locations:
Site 1: Burley Middle School (limit 25)
Site 2: Brownsville/Henley
Registration Process (Begins May 1)
- Download and complete the registration form. Requires School Counselor and Parent Signatures.
- Option 1: Bring registration form and payment between 8:30-4:00 to the Albemarle County Office Building - 3rd Floor
- Option 2: Mail in registration form and payment to address on registration form. We will confirm registration by phone/email once received.
- One (1) credit can be earned per session when a student is repeating a course. Depending on the individual needs of a child, it may be recommended that a student complete both sessions to meet the learning targets when retaking a course.
- One Half (1/2) credit can be earned per session when enrolled in the traditional (face-to-face) Health or Physical Education course.
- One Half (1/2) credit can be earned in Virtual Health or Virtual Physical Education or one (1) credit can be earned in Virtual Economics and Personal Finance.
- Final course offerings are determined by a minimum enrollment of 15 students.
- According to staffing and classroom space, classes may be limited to 25 students.
- Virtual Physical Education will be limited to 15 students for Summer 2015.
- Before they can be processed, registration forms must be signed by a school guidance counselor and a parent or guardian.
- It is the responsibility of the parent or guardian to provide a current copy of the child's IEP or 504 plan (if applicable) at the time of registration in order to ensure Special Education services as in the regular school year. It is imperative that the Accommodations sheet for SOL testing is attached to the registration form.
- Albemarle County Public Schools does not provide transportation for the High School Summer Program.
*Students may only register for one Virtual Course during the summer
Health, PE, and Economics and Personal Finance are available as virtual courses through the Summer School Program.
- Virtual courses run on the dates posted above.
- Virtual Courses do not offer face-to-face instruction and must be completed remotely.
- Students must provide their own Internet Access and Device necessary to complete the course.
- We do not recommend that students who are traveling or have other time consuming obligations take a virtual course over the summer. All Virtual courses are available during the school year.
- Students will register using the information on the ACPS Summer School Program site.
Special Notes Regarding Virtual PE Summer 2015
- Virtual PE is FULL - We are taking wait list registrations in case of openings.
- Virtual PE Informational Site
- Students who register for summer VIRTUAL PE will be taking the course over the full six weeks.
- Students will receive 0.5 credit for either PE I or II.
- Students will only have to pay for 0.5 credit- not for a full credit.
- Students will be responsible for taking fitness exams at AHS on June 10th & July 17th. We will hold morning, afternoon and evening session on both days.
- For our Summer 2015 Pilot of this course, space will be limited to 15 participants, on a first come, first enrolled basis.
- Virtual PE will be available to all who request it for the 2015-2016 school year. The course must be requested during Spring registration to ensure a spot.
- Our traditional three week face to face PE program will continue to run as it has in previous years.
Ms. Jan Mawyer, Summer School Registrar
401 McIntire Road, 3rd Floor
Charlottesville, VA 22902