High School Summer Program
Students may attend the high school summer program to either replace a grade earned during the regular school session, or to earn required credits so as to make space for elective classes in their regular school schedule. Before participating in the summer program, students must consult with their guidance counselor.
Summer 2013 Dates
Session 1: Monday, June 17 - Friday, July 5
Physical Education (P.E.) - Western Albemarle High School
Session 2: Monday, July 8 - Friday, July 26
2nd Session Physical Education (P.E.) - Monticello High School
ALL other courses will meet at Albemarle High School.
Summer 2013 Offering
Virtual Economics and Personal Finance is available through the ACPS Summer School Program.
Course Start Date: June 17
Course End Date: July 26
- This is a full (1) credit course that requires registration for both Summer Session 1 and Summer Session 2.
- This is a virtual course that does not offer face-to-face contact and must be completed from home.
- Students must provide their own Internet Access and Device necessary to complete the course.
- Students enrolled in summer school spend 5 hours of contact time daily. Virtual students should expect to make a similar commitment to the course.
Find out more »
- All classes are taught at the Standard Level using the Apex Learning digital curriculum. (P.E. is a traditional class and does not use Apex.)
- Apex is primarily a reading-based curriculum requiring self-discipline and motivation. Apex also allows for more individualized instruction.
- Each 15-day session is equivalent to one semester of school (½ credit earned).
- Final course offerings are determined by a minimum enrollment of 15 students.
- According to staffing and classroom space, classes may be limited to 25 students.
- P.E. will be limited to 100 students per session.
- Before they can be processed, registration forms must be signed by a school guidance counselor and a parent/guardian.
- It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to provide a current copy of the child's IEP or 504 plan (if applicable) at the time of registration in order to ensure Special Education services as in the regular school year. It is imperative that the 2012-13 Accommodations sheet for SOL testing is attached to the registration form.
- Albemarle County Public Schools does not provide transportation for the High School Summer Program.
Registration & Tuition
Registration begins for all students on May 1, 2013. The 2013 Summer School Brochure for registration locations and more timeline information will be coming soon.
Tuition must be paid in full before registration is complete. Checks must be made payable to "Albemarle County Public Schools". Registration forms and tuition may be mailed to:
Albemarle County Public Schools
Attn: Summer School Registrar
401 McIntire Road, 3rd Floor Lobby
Charlottesville, VA 22902-4596
Tuition rates for Summer 2013 are as follows:
- $230 per session for County residents
- $265 per session for non-County residents
Refunds will only be given if requested at least 10 days prior to the beginning of the session, or if the class for which your child is registered is canceled.
Classes begin at 7:45 a.m. for the First Session and 8:00 a.m. for the Second Session and end at 1:30 p.m. The daily schedule is as follows:
- 7:45 a.m. (1st Session) Classes begin
- 8:00 a.m. (2nd Session) Classes begin
- 10:00 a.m. Break (10 min.)
- 10:10 a.m. Classes resume
- 11:30 a.m. Break (20 min.)
- 11:50 a.m. Classes resume
- 1:30 p.m. End of school day
Absences and Tardies
Attendance during the summer program is critical. Students will be permitted to miss only 1½ days per session (regardless of the reason). If absences exceed 1½ days, the student will be awarded a grade of "Incomplete" with no credit earned.
Students returning to class late after breaks will be considered tardy. Three tardies count as a ½-day absence.
Arriving at school after 8:30 a.m. will count as a ½-day absence. Leaving school before the first break, or arriving at school after the first break, will count as a full-day absence. Leaving the school after the first break will count as a ½-day absence.
Betsy Bell, Summer School Principal
Ms. Jan Mawyer, Summer School Registrar
401 McIntire Road, 3rd Floor
Charlottesville, VA 22902